Marriages and families are the fundamental building block of all human civilization. To maintain a stable society it is critical that we have strong marriages that provide a safe and healthy environment for children to grow. The lifelong, faithful union of a man and a woman provides many obvious benefits to society, especially children, in ways that no other relationship can.
Therefore, government and society should protect and strengthen marriage, not undermine it.
Ultimately, however, God gives marriage its significance. Immediately after the creation of a man and a woman God established the institution of marriage when He said “a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh” (Genesis 2:26).
To learn more about the importance of marriage and family check out some of these articles:
- Heritage Coalition Proclamation on Sexual Preference
- Talking to Teens About Drugs
- Defense of Marriage Amendment
- Why Marriage Matters by FamilyScholars.org
- A Civil Debate on Gay Marriage by Jeff Jacoby
- Sexual Orientation Ordinances and First Amendment Rights
- Current Marriage and Family Bills
- Nichols vs. Nichols Amicus Brief