What is Prayer-Walking?
Prayer-walking is a method of intercessory prayer that involves walking while praying on location. Praying on-site with insight! As prayer-walkers we must be in right relationship with God before beginning such a strategic assignment.
Prayer-Walking is Intercession on Location
Location is so valuable to the prayer-walker. Location allows you to see, feel, touch and pray with more intensity. An additional value of location-praying has to do with presence. As believers our prayer-walking provides light in dark places and salt in unsavory places (Matthew 5:13-16).
Prayer-Walking Is Intercession on Location with Information
It is helpful if you do some research on the location you will be prayer-walking. Information will allow for more informed praying. Helpful information to assist you while prayer-walking may include:
- Demographic Information
- For example, racial and ethnic population as well as socio-economic needs.
- Religious presence
- For example, if praying at schools: Pray for groups such as Youth for Christ or Navigators to have influence on campus.
- Names of individuals who have influence in the area you are prayer-walking.
- For example, if praying at a school: pray for specific students, teachers, administrators and school board members.
- Spiritual opposition
- For example, if praying at a school: Ask, have there been any acts of violence? If yes, pray for peace and safety in and around the school building.
Prayer-Walking Is Intercession on Location with Information in Cooperation
Matthew 18: 19-20 is a scripture that speaks of cooperation.
“I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”
The word, agree, is the Greek word sumphoneo used for musical instruments that harmonize even though they are not the same. Prayer walking involves praying in concert. Praying in agreement with the others on your prayer walk is essential. Team harmony is an absolute must. Amos 3:3 states, “Can two walk together unless they agreed?”
Our personal lives must be in harmony as well. Meaning before you walk ask yourself if you are in right relationship with the Lord and others? If not, heal those things first. Obedience to God’s will is key to successful cooperation during a prayer-walk.
Download the PDF version of Prayer Walking Principles.
Information compiled from: Prayer-Walking by Steve Hawthorne and Graham Kendrick and Informed Intercession by George Otis, Jr