As of Thursday, February 7th – bill sponsor Senator Megan Hunt has withdrawn LB 168.
LB 167 is still alive.
Urge senators to say “NO to LB 167.”
LB 167 would criminalize the Biblical teaching of marriage and human sexuality as fraud.
LB 167 prohibits licensed counselors from providing talk therapy on sexual orientation or gender identity change efforts.
Under this proposed bill, a client simply talking with a counselor about his or her feelings, experiences, and relationships in a way that changes or diminishes their same-sex attraction or gender identity perception would be illegal.
Professional regulations prohibit abusive and coercive therapy, but this bill uses intentionally broad language to encompass any sort of counseling, including basic talk therapy.
It would also impact ministries. For example, a church holding a “sexual purity” conference or a church promoting a “sexual purity” conference put on at another location with an admittance fee could be sued as the speaker’s talk would encourage changes in sexual behavior.
All individuals and families should be free to choose the counseling, resources, and personal therapy goals best for them — not based upon the government’s political agenda.
Senators need to hear from you! Contact members of the committee about LB 167 and tell them faith isn’t fraud!
Judiciary Committee Senators
Note: Senator Steve Lathrop is the Committee Chair. Also, Senator Megan Hunt is not on the Judiciary Committee, but she is the senator who introduced these bills.
|Name||Dist.||Phone # (402)||City||Capitol Office #|
|Brandt, Tomfirstname.lastname@example.org||471-2711||Plymouth||12th Floor|
|DeBoer, Wendyemail@example.com||471-2718||Bennington||11th Floor|
|Hunt, Meganfirstname.lastname@example.org||471-2722||Omaha||11th Floor|
|Pansing Brooks, Pattyemail@example.com||471-2633||Lincoln||1016|
|Slama, Juliefirstname.lastname@example.org||471-2733||Peru||11th Floor|
Capitol Mailing Address
District # ____ State Capitol
PO Box 94604
Lincoln, NE 68509-4604
Whether you write an email or make a phone call, please be polite and respectful. Choose bullet points from below to craft your own message.
“Hello, my name is [Full Name] and I am from [City]. I am contacting you to ask that you oppose LB 167 to ensure parents and citizens have access to faith-based counseling.
- All individuals and families should be free to choose the counseling and personal therapy goals best for them.
- Professional regulations prohibit abusive and coercive therapy, but this bill uses broad, vague language to encompass any sort of counseling, including basic talk therapy.
- Politicians have no business denying people the freedom to find counseling and resources to help them find well-being or to shut down counselors and religious organization that provide those services.
- In a diverse and pluralistic society like ours, space must be given to people with differing views on how best to approach this issue. Government should not interfere with the process of voluntary transformation.
- At the heart of many religions is the idea that people can change and find true joy in embracing and living out their faith. Government should protect the right of individuals to practice their faith.
- My faith isn’t fraud.
I would urge you to oppose LB 167. Thank you for your time and for considering my request.
Reference Materials for Opposing LB 167
♦ Read Alliance Defending Freedom’s legal analysis for LB 167 & 168.
♦ Read the powerful op-ed from an Omaha physician, Dr. Stephan Doran, explaining the danger of these bills.
♦ National Task Force for Therapy Equality Fact Sheet What Happens When Therapy is Banned?
♦ Why 25 States Have Said “NO”
♦ Why the ACLU of Rhode Island Opposes legislation banning sexual orientation change therapy.